Service Learning Resources
Service Learning is a strategy that combines meaningful community service with curriculum and personal reflection.
- Students perform voluntary community service projects.
- The ecology club participates in an annual river clean up.
- At least one project or unit of study involves a mentoring relationship within the school community.
- A class room works regularly with a non-school community partner to support a community service project.
- "Kids-teaching kids" is a regular component of the school community life.
- A School Green Team engages in a once a year project for the whole school.
- A school can cite a number of service related projects across different themes that they participated in during the year.
- individuals and student groups are actively supported in taking leadership roles for their school and community projects,
- Students are active on a Green Team and meet at least monthly to implement projects.
- Students volunteer at different community organizations at least once a month.
- Students play an active role in planning community wide events.
- Students routinely work directly with the adult decision makers to implement green school projects.
- Service Learning Curricular Search Tool from the National Service learning Clearinghouse
- What is Service Learning - NC Dept Of Public Instruction
- NC Service Learning Wiki Site- PB Works
- Advancing Service Learning in NC- A Practical Guide
- Service Learning Curricular Search Tool from the National Service Learning Clearinghouse