Interdisciplinary Approach Resources
Local, state, and/or national learning standards are met through an “EIC” (Environment as an Integrating Context) approach.
- One or two stand alone units or activities within the curriculum engage an environmental theme.
- Art and music are integrated into the traditional core topics.
- A single grade level adopts a six week unit of inquiry of the water cycle and conservation that engages multiple disciplines to increase understanding of the topic.
- A teacher creates curriculum that integrates a variety of discrete disciplines and other teachers in the school adopt it and use it in their classes.
- Multiple grade levels initiate interdisciplinary units of studies that apply to reading, math, writing, and science, etc with environmental themes, social issues, and health studies.
- Different grade levels engage units involving curriculum that blends concepts across the discrete disciplines, eliminating fragmentation and decreasing isolated learning modules.
- The entire school engages interdisciplinary learning as an integral part of their school philosophy.
- Interdisciplinary Teaching- LEARN NC
- Interdisciplinary Learning Materials - LEARN NC
- Interdisciplinary Learning Lesson Plans - LEARN NC
- Susatinability Lesson Clearinghouse - Elementary, Middle and High School - Green Education Foundation