Catawba College Environmental Scholarships
ENV Program, Stewards, Scholars
Three different types of scholarship opportunities are available to entering first-year students (freshmen), transfer students and current students.
Environmental Program Scholarships Overview
ENV Program Scholarships are academic based scholarships.
ENV Program Scholarships are academic scholarships ($2,000 per year) available to qualified students who express an interest in majoring in the environmental field at Catawba College.
- $2,000 per year
- Students must have a 1000 SAT and a 3.0 high school GPA.
- Transfer students must have a 3.0 college GPA.
- Demonstrate a commitment to major in one of the four environmental degree programs.
- Students must plan to major in the environmental field at Catawba College.
- Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA while at Catawba College.
- Students must make adequate progress in an ENV major prior to formal declaration of a major.
- Students must declare an ENV major by the end of the sophomore year.
Environmental Stewards & Scholars Program Overview
In addition to the academic scholarship, students may apply to receive an environmental service scholarship provided through the college’s Center for the Environment. There are two types of service scholarship opportunities for students:
Environmental Stewards scholarships are available to students who major or minor in Catawba’s Environmental Programs and demonstrate high academic achievement and a commitment to environmental stewardship, community service and involvement. Students must have a 1000 SAT or a 3.0 high school GPA (current college students must have a 3.0 GPA) in order to be eligible for the Environmental Stewards.
Environmental Scholars scholarships are awarded to student leaders who have completed at least one semester in the Environmental Stewards Program and are committed to a rigorous schedule of promoting environmental stewardship. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their collegiate experience. The ongoing service requirements for Environmental Scholars can be found on the application page.
Established in 2012, the Environmental Stewards & Scholars Program supports the ideals, values and commitment of conservationists and environmental stewards. In addition to emphasizing the importance of environmental stewardship, this program follows the mission of Catawba College: Catawba College is committed to providing students an education rich in personal attention that blends the knowledge and competencies of liberal studies with career preparation. The college draws strength from Judeo-Christian values, sustains a dynamic community of learners and seeks to unite a diverse population of students, faculty and staff as active co-participants in scholarship and service. Catawba College prepares students to reach their highest potential while becoming responsible citizens with a zeal to enrich human life.
The vision that drives the Environmental Stewards & Scholars Program is that service and commitment to environmental stewardship are vital to the complete education of our future leaders. Through the establishment of the Environmental Stewards & Scholars Program, Catawba College will enable talented and committed students to develop as community leaders with the skills necessary to create positive change in their present and future communities.
Benefits of the Environmental Stewards & Scholars Programs
The benefits of being selected for the Environmental Stewards & Scholars Program are numerous and include the following:
- Scholarship and assistance totaling up to $2,500 (Stewards) or $5,000 (Scholars) per academic year.
- Participation in outreach programs associated with the Center for the Environment that afford students the opportunity to serve the college and community.
- Participation in a variety of enrichment opportunities including annual retreats, seminars, internships, volunteer experiences and social activities.
- The opportunity to gain leadership skills through participation in service and enrichment activities.
- The freedom and creativity to explore new environmental stewardship opportunities.
- The opportunity to guide the future of the Environmental Stewards and Scholars Program as well as other Catawba initiatives such as Sustainable Catawba.
- The opportunity to explore and actively participate in various efforts related to the work of environmental professionals.
Environmental Stewards Scholarship
- $2,500 per year
- Students must have a 1000 SAT or a 3.0 GPA (current college students must have a 3.0 GPA) in order to be eligible for the Environmental Stewards.
- Demonstrate a commitment to or involvement with environmental stewardship.
- Environmental Stewards are student leaders who wish to make a greater commitment to environmental stewardship and work with the Center for the Environment to make the Center’s ambitious educational efforts even better.
- The Student must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA while in the Environmental Steward program.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement and a commitment to environmental stewardship, community service and involvement.
- Major or minor in one of four academic fields of study in the Environmental Programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher throughout all semesters.
- Follow all policies of the college.
Environmental Scholars Scholarship
These students have distinguished themselves as leaders in the Environmental Stewards Program and must demonstrate a strong desire to take on leadership roles in the Environmental Stewards and Scholars Program. These individuals are student leaders who wish to make a greater commitment to environmental stewardship and work with the Center for the Environment to make the Center’s ambitious educational efforts even better.
- $5,000 per year
- Environmental Scholars must meet all requirements for the Environmental Stewards Scholarship, maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their collegiate career at Catawba College and complete at least one semester in the Environmental Stewards Program. Students must commit to a rigorous schedule of promoting environmental stewardship and carry additional responsibilities associated with leadership on campus and in the Environmental Stewards and Scholars Program.
The Environmental Scholars Program is designed to enhance students’ experience in the Environmental Program at Catawba College and broaden their knowledge of careers in the environmental field. It is an intensive experience, and the decision to take on these responsibilities should not be taken lightly; however, students who choose to apply and are selected will have a life-enriching experience like none other they'll receive in college.
For more information, please contact the Center for the Environment at Catawba College at 704-637-4727 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.