Air Quality Ideas and Resources
The indoor air quality of the school is an important factor in the health and well-being of all occupants.
- Classrooms adopt a checklist to monitor cleanliness and air quality.
- Rooms with newly laid carpeting and paint are adequately aired out before they are occupied.
- Air fresheners, perfumes and other fragrances are reduced or removed from school grounds.
- Students conduct a baseline audit to identify the Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) status of their school.
- Low VOC paints, low-odor dry-erase markers, low-odor cleaning supplies are used in classrooms and school,
- Staff conducts regular maintenance and inspection of all heating and cooking systems to find and repair leaks,
- The Administration, students and staff coordinate to improve indoor air quality of a school wide basis.
- Students conduct a no-idling audit and campaign to reduce idling in carpool lanes,
- Moisture issues are identified and removed to reduce mold in the school,
- The school has formed an IAQ team in partnership with the community to support air quality improvements.
- The students conduct a School Chemical Clean out Campaign to reduce potentially troublesome chemicals in the schools and labs,
- Staff uses an integrated pest management system to reduce pesticide exposure in the school.
- US Green Building Council Center for Green Schools, NC Chapter Environmental Stewardship Challenge - receive seed money and a mentor and participate in one or more categories to make your school more sustainable! (Mentors available in most counties)
- Air Awareness Education Tools for Teachers -NC Division of Air Quality
- Clean School Bus Program - US EPA
- EPA High Performance Schools
- Green Cleaning Fact Sheet for Schools - US EPA
- Green Cleaning Pollution Prevention Calculator- US EPA
- Indoor Air Quality grant awards - NCEEPA
- Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools - NCDHHS
- Integrated Safer Pest Management in Schools - US EPA
- Managing Asthma in the School Environment - US EPA
- Mold Prevention and Mitigation - NC Department of Public Instruction
- No Idling Toolkit for Schools-Center for the Environment at Catawba College
- Radon in NC Schools Fact Sheet - NCDENR
- School Anti-Idling Campaign - WPCOG
- School Bus Idling Materials - NC DPI
- The School Chemical Clean out Campaign - US EPA
- NC Division of Air Quality - Get the Air Quality Forecast App "EPAAIRNow", and sign up for free air quality educational programs linked to NC Essential Standards
Air Quality Video with Dr. Clay Ballentine- from the Center for the Environment at Catawba College
Environmental Pollutants and Health with David Pedan- from the Center for the Environment at Catawba College