The mission of Reading Riding and Retrofit: The NC Green Schools Program is to encourage, support and recognize the efforts of all NC P-12 schools that have taken strides to make their schools 21st century institutions of quality and sustainability. Additionally, RRR affirms the mission statement of the Public Schools of North Carolina and works to support and enhance those goals through sustainability initiatives.
NC Green Schools Programs
Find and connect with like-minded green educators and dive deeper in topics that interest you. The learning network provides opportunities for peer-to-peer exchange and helps like-minded educators connect and share ideas, challenges and successes. Join the NC Green Schools Learning Network.
There are hundreds of tools and links for becoming a more sustainable, healthy campus, and it can be overwhelming to know where to start! We have divided the resource pages by 5 NC Green School components. We hope that you will discover new tools to help your school become more green!
By following the NC Green Schools Recognition Program and engaging in activities in at least 3 of the 5 categories of the rubric, schools can receive recognition and be awarded a certificate of accomplishment in their own state while simultaneously building their portfolio for the National Dept of Education Green Ribbon Awards.
Reading Riding Retrofit: The NC Green Schools Program is designed for North Carolina P-12 schools who want to "go green." We provide a network, resources, and recognition program to support students, teachers, and school communities to meet the following goals:
- Create school grounds that enhance their use as learning environments AND add to the ecological integrity of their community,
- Be responsible stewards of our natural resources of energy, water, air,
- Engage life-cycle product awareness for school materials to reduce waste,
- Build healthy and fit lives
- Integrate curriculum with hands-on learning and field studies that help students experience and understand the natural environment and their place in it,
- Energize classrooms with the power of STE(A)M,
- Build partnerships with the community to foster mutually valuable stewardship and civic engagement opportunities,
- Create a school philosophy and culture that embraces sustainability, encourages ongoing professional development and sparks the creativity and engagement of all its members,
- Engage innovative ideas.